Late this afternoon the AFL released further information in response to the COVID-19 situation (see below). For clarity:
- Senior football – there will be no training for the next two weeks and coaches will be in contact regarding individual training plans and next steps.
- Junior football – there is to be no training until further notice. Further information will be provided from our Junior President and Junior Committee in due course. Any Junior Football and Auskick questions can be addressed to our Junior President Lisa Burns on firstname.lastname@example.org
The Jets are committed to following the AFL’s guidance in response to the Coronavirus and thank you for your adherence to the position they have outlined. This is of great disappointment to all of us but, to state the obvious, is something that has much more serious impacts than just starting the 2020 season on time.
As the situation develops and further information is received from the AFL, the Board will update members as quickly as possible.
If you have any questions regarding the above, please contact your Senior Football President (Rohan Wilson) or Junior Football President (Lisa Burns) or a member of the Board.
The AFL Media Release can be found under this email.
AFL Media Release – Community Football Update
The AFL wishes to advise that following a series of meetings involving the AFL and all State and Territory CEOs, recommendations have been made in relation to community football leagues and programs across the country.
The following will take place:
- All AFL and AFL State association managed or operated leagues along with all NAB AFL Auskick Centres programs currently operating or set to begin, will be postponed until May 31, 2020.
- The AFL has advised independently governed junior and senior leagues and associations to postpone the commencement and / or operation of their leagues / associations until the same date (May 31, 2020). This decision and recommendation covers AFL community matches, AFL community training sessions and face to face AFL, WAFC and SANFL education courses.
- Postponement of all diversity programs including:
- Woomeras and Boomerangs programs
- Medleys and World Team programs
- Rio Tinto Footy Means Business Programs
- Bachar Houli Football Programs
- All State and Territory multicultural and indigenous programs
- International Cup
- Victorian Wheelchair Football League
- Toyota National Wheelchair Championships
- Victorian FIDA Football League
The AFL is determined to be part of the whole of community response to slow the COVID-19 virus down – and in doing so, help the broader community and our health systems manage the situation as effectively as possible.
The recommendation was collectively agreed upon based on the nature of shared public facilities across community football clubs and the health and safety of our volunteer network.
A note sent to the national Australian Football community can be found here:
AFL Community and NAB AFL Auskick guidelines on Covid-19 can be found here: